Who you need to inform when moving house?
You will need a check list of who you need to inform when moving house. Get your list organised at the outset well before the moving date.
- Royal Mail - Arrange to redirect your mail as soon as you have a firm moving date. A minimum of 5 days notice is required. Redirections can be set up for a minimum of 1 month, and can be extended up to 2 years.
- Power - Make sure you know who will be supplying your gas and electric at your new house. Have a telephone number for the gas and electric supplier handy so you can phone through the meter readings at both old and new properties. Give your old suppliers your new address so they can send you your final bill
- Telecoms - Contact your telecoms supplier and arrange to have the phone to be either disconnected or transferred to your buyer. If you are moving locally you can often keep your old number when you move providing you contact your telecoms supplier and give them sufficient notice.
- Changing Broadband - Most broadband companies require notice of termination. If you are locked into a contract and cannot use the same supplier at your new address there may be a penalty payment.
- Water - Advise the water board at both your old and new property. If you are on a meter don't forget to take the meter reading on the day you move.
- Council Tax - You will need to advise your local council of your move. You will probably get a rebate for the current financial year if you are up to date with your installments.
- DVLA will need to be notified of your new address and you will need a replacement photocard licence
- TV Licensing details can be updated on line.